Fidget Quilt


People with Alzheimer's or dementia fidget as a way of dealing with anxiety.  Being able to pull at things or repetitively touch something with a unique texture can help to calm them.  One of my friends has a mother with Alzheimer's and I wanted to try my hand at making a fidget apron for her.


I really enjoyed the process.  It was quilting and mixed media wrapped into one.  I also really enjoyed the feeling of being very intentional with each aspect of it.  I wanted it to be beautiful and interesting to play with.  I wanted there to be touches that could potentially spark a memory. 




The absolute best part of all was hearing that my friend's mom immediately put it to use and seemed to enjoy it.  This picture of that makes my heart happy. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Idle Hands Being What They Are...

Dining Room...

Tiramisu For Keressa