Monday, May 2, 2016


Dan and I LOVE the molcajete that is served at a local Mexican restaurant!  I have been wanting to try making it at home and finally bit the bullet...and I'm SO glad I did!

Molcajete is actually the name of the bowl.  It's sold as a mortar and pestle and is made from volcanic rock.  I bought two of them and if I had known how much work it would be to clean them for their initial use I would have been tempted to just make fajitas!  :-)

I'm really glad that I did it in the end though!  It was delicious and a real treat to have it in the comfort of our own home.

There are hundreds of recipes that can be prepared in the molcajete.  The one that I tried turned out so much like the restaurant version!  I found it here!

Friday, March 4, 2016

Seeds! Seeds! Seeds!

I'm so excited about gardening this year!  My seed addiction has gotten slightly out of hand but it's all going to be worth it once I have these guys in the ground!

These are the seeds that I have planted for the Spring:
Bulgarian Giant Leek
Red Freddy Genovese Basil
Mary Washington Asparagus
Bloomsdale Long Standing Spinach
Precoce D'argenteuil Asparagus
Candy Roaster Squash
Devil's Ear Lettuce
White Soul Alpine Strawberry
Alexandria Alpine Strawberry
Baron Von Solemacher Alpine Strawberry
Cocozella Di Napoli Zucchini
Chocolate Cherry Tomato
Brandywine Tomato
Black Magic Kale
Lemon Cucumber
Scarlet Sage
Lemon Bergamot
Pleurisy Root
Greek Mullein
Gobo Burdock
German Chamomile
Holy Basil
Wood Betony
Purple Coneflower
Evening Primrose
Brown Flax
Lemon Balm
Stinging Nettle
Cayenne Pepper
Viper's Bugloss
Showy Milkweed
Common Milkweed
Cardinal Flower
Purple Calabash Tomato
Red Clover
Wooly Lamb's Ear
Mammoth Sunflower
Lamb's Quarter
Mexican Lamb's Quarter
Hmong Sticky Rice
Habanero Pepper
JalapeƱo Pepper
Yellow Pear Tomato
Banana Pepper
Astia Summer Squash
Yellow Crookneck Squash
Red Russian Kale
Sikkim Cucumber
Scarlet Kale
Bronze Fennel
Rainbow Swiss Chard
Thai Sweet Basil
Heirloom Breadseed Poppy

Monday, February 8, 2016


Sunday, January 10, 2016

Dining Room...

We've slowly been chipping away at our dining room to-do list.'s finally done! 

You can see that the wallpaper was all 80s!  What you can't tell from this picture is that the chair rail....was installed upside down!

We removed the chair rail and the wallpaper.  Painted the walls a much richer color and did the trim in an oatmeal color rather than leaving the original wood.  Plantation blinds were a real upgrade from the previous plastic miniblinds.
The change with the greatest impact, at least in my mind, is the light fixture!  The one that was here when we moved in was oh so dated as well as being broken.
Dan replaced it with a beautiful fixture that fits our style... and works!  :-)
I'm so impressed with how many things that man knows how to do.  Not only did he replace the light fixture, he also replaced the light switch with a dimmer switch!
Please excuse the glare in this is out of control.  Anyway, the interior wall is really large and after we got it painted it was in desperate need of something.
We pulled some cigar boxes from my collection and took a road trip to a cigar store to get some more so that we could make this collage on the wall!
Even at it's worst it was one of my favorite rooms... It just has a really relaxing energy.  Now that it's far better looking I can't wait to spend more time in there with friends and family!

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Baby Time!

A friend of mine is having a baby...I almost never go to baby showers and I've never thrown one... until yesterday!  It was so much fun getting everything ready!

I didn't want there to be too much of a theme but I did want something really special for the invitations.  I made a booklet style invitation with a children's classic on each page and sewed the pages onto the back cardstock.

I never do "girly" things and I took this as an opportunity to use predominately feminine colors.
There are white Christmas lights strung underneath the table and I LOVE how it turned out!
Mason jar glasses with a simple ribbon bow and a paper straw.
The curtain is white crepe paper streamers that I stuck fabric and paper flowers to. I had planned on getting a bit more elaborate with the food portion but wasn't able to because a minor injury caused a serious delay in my timeline! No one seemed to mind though!
I was really pleased with how the dessert table turned out. 
Chocolate bowls of tiramisu, chocolate cups with a chocolate raspberry whipped ganache topped with a raspberry. It was rounded out by strawberry cake balls, chocolate cake balls, and a bowl of saltwater taffy in matching colors to the decorations.
I wanted everyone to have a little something as a thank you for coming to celebrate.

Monday, November 9, 2015

We say goodbye to a legend...

I'm sad to see her go but it's time to say goodbye to my beloved Ford Taurus. 

I've had this car for 11 years... It's been with me through one marriage and two divorces.  The Taurus has been with me through 9 moves and countless trips. 

When I was a doula, it was this car that delivered me to so many delivering mommies.  It towed a Uhaul trailer full of everything I own from Minnesota to Arkansas.  It's been loaded down with compost, manure, and plants more times than I can count. It's been my refuge when I just couldn't deal with real life and just needed some time driving down back roads...

It lived through thousands of tears, much laughter, and oh so many badly sung songs. 


Sunday, August 16, 2015

A Gift of Grapes

A recent gift of home grown grapes has really lit the fire under me to make sure I plant grapes next year!   These were beautiful, delicious, and made one heck of a good grape jam!